The built environment: documenting sustainable construction techniques (by Kate)

The construction industry is a big polluter. The manufacturing of building materials – such as steel, iron, cement and glass – contributes to 11% of all global greenhouse gas emissions. A further 28% of emissions can be attributed to the powering of residential and non-residential buildings, totalling 39% for the construction industry. Whilst many countries …

The place where the Rainbow gets its colour (by Inno)

Nestled amidst the rugged embrace of Guatemala’s towering volcanoes, Lake Atitlan emerges like a precious gem laying testament to natures majestic beauty. This pristine body of water captivates many a traveller to marvel upon its enchanting splendour each year. But how did it come to be renowned as one of the most beautiful lakes on …

Integrating Permaculture into Modern Cities by Lauren

Human activity is causing major pollution including the introduction of heavy metals, chemical compounds and nutrient-loaded wastewater into the environment. This is polluting aquatic environments causing a decline in biodiversity and is even polluting groundwater sources. Plants and trees and other living organisms have natural filtering and buffering abilities but these vary by plant and …

A Brief Exploration Into The Criminalisation Of Indigenous Land Defenders In Guatemala by Yas

It’s difficult to take an interest in permaculture and environmental protection in Central America without coming across stories of the severe persecution faced by many land defenders at the hands of powerful political and corporate alliances. During my time on the Gotoco programme in Guatemala, I heard of a number of environmental initiatives that threatened …